Sunday 4 November 2012

Ballet Class Clothing and Insecurities

 Continued from last post.... There were some ideas I wanted to expand upon.....


So after all the bloating issues, and tights problem.. why do I continue to wear them? And not just throw on some yoga pants or shorts and a tank top?






Well for one, I have terrible looking bare legs... so I do appreciate minor coverage and the "holding" power ballet tights give you. Sure, I could go with black.. but I also like sticking with the tradition of ballet attire, because really where else can you go and get away with showing up in baby pink tights? Besides with all the endless leotard designs available (would you like strappy or non strappy?), and all those amazing coverup options are fun for everyone. Soft slippers.....that there kinda says it all. 

And as much as black tights can look nice at times, I really want to wear something to class that is practical and really allows my teacher to "SEE" my body and movements.

If there are any adults out there that are still weighing the option of showing up to class in pink tights and leotard vs yoga pants... let me tell you something. I've received the most corrections on my ballet technique while wearing my tights and basic leotard. Nothing else. In fact, when the exercises at the barre start getting more complicated I always make sure to strip off any legwarmers I have on, because then my teachers can really tell if I am actually engaging the muscles in my legs. (the proper ones) Using the proper muscles is integral to ballet, and, if you can start getting into the right methods straight from the start it will make it 100% easier later on. The worst is trying to break bad habits later on.

Trust me. It really does work. I struggle all the time with remembering to use my muscles, and, whenever I don't cover up.. I am always being reminded by my teachers. Sure you could wear booty shorts(and I do sometimes) but I still believe it covers up way too much, and in the most important area too.. your hips. I mean hello.. turnout happens there, and if you are covered up how can they make sure you are using it properly? And that includes using your bottom muscles properly too??





If you're still too nervous to show up to class in pink tights and leotard....ease into it. Start with black tights if it helps. Some leggings are very shear, and may work well to cover up but still wear on the body like tights.





 A ballet wrap skirt (no tutu's! Awww.. I know right? ) always looks nice and skims over the body sitting just low enough to cover but, short enough that the teachers can see your legs. On my off days, I usually secure mine above my hips, on the smallest (ha!) part of my torso. If you're really creative and good with sewing, you could have lots of fun designing your own ballet skirts!
Lots of very helpful tutorials online, here's one! http://youmadethat.blogspot.ca/2011/03/girls-wrap-dance-skirt-tutorial.html





 Booty shorts work too, but some styles don't look as nice and may cut the lines of the body, or create odd bulges. If you're lucky, you may find a pair that has a wide band. These are great for holding in those tummy pouches (which is why they are my favourite kind)

If you are chilled easily at the start of class and wanna ease into pink tights, try throwing on a pair of black ones over top, this way you'll get the idea into your head and maybe when you're too hot to stand it anymore, finally strip em off once and for all!


Also.. Trick your mind. When you want to show up to class in just tights and a leotard, but are feeling "naked" a good trick is to toss on a basic and simple tank top over your leotard. Make sure it's not hanging too low (hips level is perfect) and that it's not too big or baggy, and viola! No more shy, "naked" feeling, It really works too! If you havetahhavemore... toss on some legwarmers.




Underwear and sports bras. I see this question everywhere. Most of the time the lines created by wearing underwear and bras under your leotard and tights can look strange. I know for me, I already struggle with tights that cut in my torso at awkward places, so creating more bumps is the last thing I want to do. I usually skip underwear. However, I've managed to find a cheap sports bra in a good size that doesn't cut into me, and the bonus is that band helps hold my tights up and in place.  :P WIN!

 I usually prefer to avoid the cross back style sport bras... I personally think they ruin the look of the "open back" shape and could possibly prevent corrections... so I try to stick with the tank style. Of course it's up to you what style you like better! Have fun with it. :)

If the idea of going without underwear just boggles your mind... look for the no seam underwear. I bought a pair of underwear from Victoria Secret, they were the no lines + no seams, and they are perfect for under your leotard. They are so light and soft you almost forget you're wearing them.

 The most important item of all you should never go to ballet class without is.... a smile. You're there to learn, and have fun!


5 comments:

  1. Hey, nice blog! I'm an adult beginner, too, but I blog not only about ballet. For class I wear very different outfits. Some days I love pink tights and leo and skirt and some days I wear dark tights or baggy pants / shirts. It depends on how I feel that day. But I agree, covering up too much is not a good thing in ballet. Maybe I will show off some ballet outfits photos on sunday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Kritzelfee! Mood plays a huge part on what I want vs what I end up wearing to class. Can't wait to see your fashion pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very awesome collection of ballet clothing thanks for share
    great ideas .
    i am so glad to see this post


    Ballet business | \A\Rachel Withers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's so cool that you were able to find an outfit that makes you feel comfortable! My wife used to take ballet and eventually stopped because she felt self-conscious. Luckily my daughter still feels carefree enough to wear anything. She's going to start taking ballet lessons soon, so we want to get a nice outfit for her. I have no doubt that she'll make the outfit look just great. Hopefully we find one soon! Thanks for the post! http://www.lebos.com/dancewear/dancewear-dance-apparel.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite impressive clothing stylish and fit is awesome too. My sister bought sports bra from Carbon38 few months back. Is a huge fan of their leggings, tank tops, shorts, tights and sportswear. Worth the prices paid and discounts are tempting too. Thinking to buy some for my zumba classes.

    ReplyDelete