Saturday 3 November 2012

Battle of the Bloat


Remember that not so fun topic I mentioned a few days ago..... well here it is, Bloating. There is nothing fun about being or feeling bloated, ESPECIALLY when you are just about to squeeze into the tiny leotard that magnifies every line and wrinkle under the damn thing. Let's not forget either, those dreaded muffin rolls from the waist bands of your tights (some brands are worse then others) that unless you are stick thin (which I'm totally not!) cuts into your tummy at the softest part until you manage to position it high enough on the torso that it "holds everything in."




So after all the bloating issues, and tights problem.. why do I continue to wear them? And not just throw on some yoga pants or shorts and a tank top? ( See the following post )



 I struggle with the battle of the bloat. I've read so many things not to do that can help.. no gum (whaaa?!?! the horror!) no soda, gulping air when chewing....carbs...lactose intolerance....the list is kinda seems endless. So here is what I've done and tried so far...or ideas that might help.

This first one seems pretty obvious - stay regular (sorry but it does make a difference so there!)
  • Drinking carbonated drinks before class won't help at all... so don't do it.
  •  I try to stay away from eating any breads/pasta/ or heavy carbs the day of my class. They slow me down anyways and there are tons more healthier choices out there anyways, and cause less digestion irritants for me personally. Whole Wheat is always a better choice then white.
  • Food Allergies. If you haven't had all the tests to confirm but still suspect certain foods are creating distress within your system, it could be an allergy. Gluten sensititivites (I suspect might be the primary cause of my bloating) Lactose intolerance can also wreak havoc on your body. So really listen to gut! :P
  • Although they say high fiber food could be a problem, I never have this issue. I usually eat tons of veggies the day of my class, plus lean proteins. (Mmmm Eggs...fried eggs...scrambled... noms! )
  •  I've tried some herbal teas, I'm still on the fence about these. I've tried peppermint tea,  fresh warm lemon water, lemon + peppermint tea.. turmeric tea.... I've also heard of fennel seeds.. but I am NOT a black licorice lover and the thought of chewing these things makes me sick. Blaaah!
  •  "No salt please" Skip this too, It's suppose to help...
  • Plan a good snack before class. If you are thinking of grabbing a muffin, pass...  and grab a hard boiled egg, or yogurt instead (probiotics help with digestion = less bloat)
  • Stay hydrated. Nothing wrong with good ole' plain water. Spice it up if you want (..NOT... pomegranate mio... try some lemon... fresh-not bottle-squeezed)
  • Don't stress! Stress causes the cortisol hormone to release and this triggers abdominal fat to store around your midsection. Below the belly pouch? Say hello to Cortisol! 
  • When all else fails and you're just not feeling it, toss on those booty shorts or ballet skirt. Its the easiest solution and of course don't let a little bloat stop you from doing your best and enjoying yourself!

Any tips I missed, or better ideas? I'd love to hear them!






1 comment:

  1. Hi, I looooooove reading your posts :o). Started with ballet this year as an adult beginner. Normally I used to eat a large bowl of fresh pressed oatflakes every day with yoghurt or milk. And I do not have any pain or arching muscles (and I did not have it at the first class either). Currently I am on vacation and I eat everything else except my oatmeal ;o) - and I tell you - my muscles are arching and I am not so fit like usual. I guess carbs help to stay fit :o). Annette

    ReplyDelete