Monday 22 October 2012

Hard or Soft

Ahh... pointe shoes. You love em.. you hate em... you cut, sew, scratch, glue, break in, dry out...

Hate them what??! You're probably asking yourself is that even possible?? Well, my very first pair... yep, hated them. They were way too hard, the vamp far too long, and the width insanely narrow. I tried extra padding, less padding, crushing the box, and bending them.

Although the ones in the store seemed to fit really well and were comfortable, the ones I got sent home with were a nightmare. Besides the aching pain on the tops of my toes, the bunion area burning, and the lack of proper placement on the platform, these shoes probably could have killed me!


Fast forward to my current pair. First glance they probably look way too soft, and I probably look like my toes are clawing, or I'm not pulling up and out of my shoes, but honestly I love them!

I love, love, love, love soft shoes! I don't understand it, but bloch feels incredibly soft to me. These shoes were broken/molded to my feet literally within seconds of wearing them. My right foot is stronger then my left, and I am pretty sure I broke the shank in an odd way that I had to switch it to my left foot. (much weaker) Yet I love them!

Yes they are super soft, and take a bit extra work rising to full pointe from flat, but I can feel the floor in them.. I can feel the platform and where to balance, and I can concentrate on really lengthening through my foot in these shoes.

I'm going to be so sad when they die... I'm crossing my fingers they last for at least a few months.

I don't really know if wearing a softer shoe is a bad or good thing when it comes to learning how to dance on pointe... but I know I REALLY prefer the very soft and broken in feel of shoes and despise the hard ones.

The feet of the first girl in this picture feel alot like (and I think) look similar to mine. Where the toes almost seem to bend and the the rest of the foot "sits" in the shoe. Maybe it's just the shoe.....

No comments:

Post a Comment