Thursday 25 October 2012

..and..ah 5...6...7...8!

When I was first told to start counting... back in the early beginner days, you know those days were you think you know it all.. ballet hard? ha! Forgetaboutit! Those super early days when "you just know you're a "natural" and really haven't figured out just what you were getting yourself into...

Ah c'mon I'm sure most of us were there at one time.. one of my classmates even admitted it out loud a few weeks ago. It's really kinda funny, the process of learning ballet. From know it all.. to knowing absolutely nothing so quickly, I'm sure it might be some of the reason why there are so many adults dropping out after a class or two. It's a shame really... I always thought the hardest part was just gathering the courage to walk into that first class...

Anyways, so yeah... I put it off... counting that is. I would let the music lead me... or my memory should hold up just fine.. and it did... back when it was easy. When there wasn't alot really going on, and following the movements of the bunhead in front of you was the simplest solution.

But now, it's just not possible.. and when I finally gave up trying to remember combinations and actually started counting each step, everything seemed to click. Why I waited so long to give in, I'll never know. But it really, really does work.

As soon as I started counting my movements in class, and listening to the music, I finally saw it.. it smacked me so hard in the face ... PATTERNS! There are patterns to the exercises! How did I never see this before?! Where have I been all these months? It's the same studio room... the same ole wooden barre, but the movements are so much clearer. 

It's the weirdest of sensations. Another of my classmates said... one day it will just "click."

No comments:

Post a Comment